One successful initiative was the annual Farmers’ Market, an effort to increase availability and access to, and promote the consumption of, fresh fruits and vegetables. It was started in 2007, at the Capitol Avenue Complex where several state agencies were housed. High participation was reported. The program continues on a seasonal basis. In addition, the NPAOP has an office with real employees and outreach programs throughout the state.
Some other initiatives include:
- Childhood Obesity Prevention Programs
- Diabetes Awareness Programs
- A Healthy Eating, Active Eating Resource Toolkit for businesses and state agencies
- Cancer prevention (breast and cervical early detection) and Colorectal Initiative
- Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention
Keep it going Connecticut! WCS is counting you as one of our wellness winners! We need all of our 50 states to continue supporting wellness initiatives for all Americans.